Tuesday, October 18, 2011

Cross Crusade #2: My Revenge On Rainer

There is nothing worse than feeling great in a race and being near the front to have mechanicals keep you from finishing. Last year I was sitting in the top 10 and flatted, running to the pits to only have failure. This was my first and only DNF in a bike race.

Fast forward a year and I was vibrating at the start line ready to make up for my past mistakes. This year I came armed with Reynolds Carbon Tubulars with Grifos filled with Stans tubeless sealant. This is a mean, green, non flatting machine. Also I had a spare set of wheels in the pits.

This is what you need to not flat. They work :)
Having finished 3rd at Alpenrose in the B's I had a nice front row start. I knew I was gonna need it with the climb at Rainer. If you haven't raced Rainer it is the hilliest cross race in Oregon, and once you fall back in the pack its hard to move up. I attacked off the gun and was the first to the top of the climb. This caused a little bit of a reverse break away for me as I slid back into about 15th by the second lap. I grinded up that climb 4 more times for a total of 6 laps. Amazed at how long 45 minutes really is. I had one mishap and lost my chain but only lost a spot or two. In the end I had fought my way back to 12th. Its not a victory but it was a good race, with a solid finish.

Taylor through the barriers: photo from Dave Roth 
Ryan Garner raced his first race as an A. To be honest it made me glad to have a few more races in the B's. Ryan is fast but so are all the rest of the A's. He rode for 60 minutes instead of 45 minutes and they rode faster for the whole time. My hats off to Ryan and soon I will be in pain chasing your wheel again.

Ryan Garner: photo from Oregon Cycling Action
Julie Berkbuegler raced her second cross race and rode hard, making 3 laps and finishing 34th. She looked sore but was all smiles post race. She repeatedly said that she needs to ride her bike more and I think this race will give her that inspiration. Climbing that hill is no joke.

Julie ripping down hill. Look at the determination.

1 comment:

  1. I'm sure I will not catch you when you start racing with us. But I have thought racing the real A's and not the Masters. We'll see... Nice job, that race is pretty damn hard.

    ReplyDelete