Monday, September 10, 2012

Sandbox Nightmare? Or the best fun ever?

I drove up to Vancouver Wa for the Het Meer GPTB race on sunday knowing that I have to miss the local tuesday night cross race this week and thought it would be good for my skills. The course was well suited for me with a lot of fast up and down sections and tight trees, and a huge 200 meter sand section. The start of the sand was over 6 inches deep but get better after you entered it.

In the A race I practiced before hand and easily made it through the sand and was sure that I would do fine. First lap I was golden through there. But on another section of lap two I burped out most of my air in the front tire, leading to two small wrecks with the poor handling. I was bummed and knew that my tire was done for. So I thought I should go out in a blaze of glory and went for a flier into the sand. And below is the result of such thought out plans.

photos compliments of Matt Haughey



So this was the end of my Men's A race at Het Meer only 12 minutes into the hour long race. I was bummed but refused to not be able to race. With the help of Forest Wilson we ghetto rigged my bike into a singlespeed using my inner chainring and a 17 tooth cog. I signed up for round two and raced the Men's Singlespeed race.

You would think after such a wreck that I would take it easy in the sand. But not me, I wanted to master my sand skills. So for 3 of the 6 laps in the 45 minute race I again played with my face in the sand pit. Riding it twice and then finally running it last lap to not loose anymore positions. I figure in total that I lost over a minute and 5 places to my sandpit time.

In the end I finished 20th out of 47 on a ghetto singlespeed that I had to be careful not to shift to nowhere.

I love cross, even when I am not doing well. I guess I also need to work on my sand riding abilities.

3 comments:

  1. that series of pics is pricesless! be sure to give that cameraman a couple 22's of ninkasi for his excellent timing. haha

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good job taylor..weird how cross is fun even when things dont go as planned..

    ReplyDelete
  3. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete