Monday, October 3, 2011

Cross Crusade: Alpenrose Dairy - Good Cross, Bad Stink

That is Mike Rosenberg yelling at me to stop being slow
Photo from Oregon Cycling Action
So in Oregon when it come to cyclocross its all about the Cross Crusades. The opening race is always the biggest with tons of vendors and cyclocross carnage everywhere. For me its the start of the Holy season from Cross Crusade #1, thru USGP's in Decemeber. For the devout dirty man every sunday involves some combination of blood, sweat, mud and tears.

I wanted to take a different approach on this season from last year, as I peaked at the first race and went downhill every race after Alpenrose. So this year I have been working slowly into the season racing less in September. My goal was to get a call up in the mens B's. Last year I got 7th without a call up and bad lineup position, so I expected to do worse than last year.
Trying to stay near the front of the race, dont I look like Im having fun
Photo from Jens Voigt's Army
I lined up 7th row of 9 rows(86 finishers), with my teammate and friend Ryan Garner lined up front row with a call up. I was wondering if I could even get close to him in the race. The race started in blaze as I attacked up the left side jumping up 3-4 rows in the first lap. As I settled in during the second lap I was already pushing my way through the top 15. By lap 3, I was in 2nd place with only my teammate Ryan infront of me. For the next 2 laps I chased down Ryan, having his best race ever.
Ryan looking at an empty course as he leads the race
Photo from Jens Voigt's Army
At one point I got the gap down to 10 seconds but that is the closest I could get. In the closing lap I was trying to gain on Ryan when I realized I had a guy charging hard behind me. I picked it up as much as I could and then started throwing in all the blocks I could. But when the course climbed back up he powered past me. I yelled at Ryan to watch out but this guy just kept gaining time on Ryan. In the end the other guy won, Ryan got 2nd(2 seconds down) and I got 3rd(16 seconds down).

Now I have my call up for the season and my best finish ever, but if I keep riding this good its time to go up to the A's and race for mid pack finishes.

Other Tensegrity PT racers did awesome as well, with Dave Bisers getting 15th in SS and Jon Muyskens getting 93 in SS. Dave got his call up in one of the most competitive fields in Oregon. Julie Berkbuegler raced her first Crusade in the women's beginner race and finished 30th(Julie's awesome photo), and Meagan Bull finished 60th, both having a blast and looking faster and smoother with their technical skills.
Bisers climbing like a madman
Jon winding thru the dairy
Meagan Bull (NOT IN HER TEAM KIT) Good race but get your kit on!

No comments:

Post a Comment