Monday, October 29, 2012

HALLOWEEN CROSS CRUSADE -BEND!

HALLOWEEN CROSS CRUSADE!

                I am slowly starting to love cyclocross, especially when I get to ride Hollis’s Stoemper!  This past weekend’s race was a big one in Bend, two days of racing and partying with friends. Due to my poor financial status I was only able to afford to race one day.  Friday night we were all up late and I didn’t sleep well, so I decided to hang out and be “super –fan” on Saturdays race, and I would race on Sunday.
Saturday was cold! I huddled in the team tent next to the propane heater for most of the day while cheering on some of my teammates who were racing.  The course looked fun, but also quite intimidating with a big fly over and some steep dirt run-ups.  Saturday night was chill. We all hung out at the rental house and went to bed relatively early. When we woke up on Sunday morning I was hoping it was going to be warmer. We all bundled up and headed back to downtown Bend where the races were being held. It was definitely warmer which was good! There was also some sun and blue sky, a plus! Since my race wasn’t until 2:30 I had plenty of time to drink coffee and hang out.  Around 11am I decided it was time to get my costume on, as a team we decided to be clowns. I was sporting a blonde wig, face paint, and a spinney hat – not super creative, but it was the best I could do.  After getting dressed up I still had some time to hang out and watch the A’s race which is always fun and inspiring.
                The time drew near. Kaylee and I decided to start warming up. We went on an easy cruise and then proceeded to the start. Kaylee raced Saturday and won so she got a call up and got to start in the first wave. Meanwhile I started back a ways.  Today’s race was going to go in the opposite direction of Saturday’s race. It was starting to rain and I could hear some of the other women express about how nervous they were to hit fly over. I had never gone over one of these before and I was a bit intimidated myself! My friend Effie was near, and she told me to hit it hard and slightly to the left, this gave me some confidence at least. The whistle blew and we were off, rounding the corner next was the fly over. I threw in a few extra pedal strokes and went right over it. It was just like a roller coaster!  After the fly over there was long steep dirt run up, this is why I LOVE the Stoemper! I jumped off my bike and shouldered the Stoemper up the hill. The Stoemper is so light compared to my Fuji Cross Comp. I sacrifice the light weightiness for a bike that is roughly 2-3 sizes too big for me…. Oh wellJ.
As the race goes on I am trying my hardest to pick people off and keep moving forward.  The course is an awesome mix of technical sandy corners mixed with a few short steep hills, nothing like the previous race in Rainer. I found myself passing the most people at the staircase and the sand pit, which is not the norm for me, so I was feeling good about this! By the third lap I am starting to feel thirsty, hungry, and tired! I can feel myself slowly falling back…  I know that there can only be one more lap to go so I try to power through.  Coming through to the finish I can see the black and white checkered flag which I am thankful for! As I round the last corner there is a woman in sight, I can catch her! I sprint to pass and cross the finish! I don’t know where that little burst of energy came from but it felt GOOD! I am looking forward to next weekend’s race at the Washington County Fairgrounds J


No comments:

Post a Comment