Thursday, April 12, 2012

Piece of Cake

The Piece of Cake road race had all the right ingredients for a spring road race.  When signing up for the category 4/5 it had just reached capacity, so I was bumped to the more seasoned Masters 4/5 race.  This was interesting.  I had heard that the Masters ride a little more organized and thus a little faster than the Senior 4/5.  I was up for the challenge.
At 1:40 as the race started I felt great.  The sun was out, the temperature was just right, 60 degrees with a slight breeze. The race coarse begins with a good amount of gravel road.  Sounds like a lot of fun...unless you get a flat tire in the first hundred yards.  Flat tires usually don't bother me but I was the third rider to have a flat   and by the time I swapped my wheel out the group was out of sight.  I rode a hard pace with thought that I would never see the group again.
My game plan had switched from catching the group to trying to catch the other riders that sustained a flat.  There was one rider that I could see about  a quarter mile ahead of me.  I tried to catch him but I got the impression that he believed he could catch the group that was out of sight.
After the first lap I was sill riding solo.  Plan C was to enjoy the beautiful day and try not to get caught by the race that started after me.  Well I got caught but finished the race nonetheless.  I was able to catch up to a couple of riders in the last mile.
The Piece of Cake was a fun race that I will do next year.  My game plan for next year, puncture resistant tires.

Okon Udosenata

No comments:

Post a Comment