Sunday, February 26, 2012

The Other Side of the Clipboard


I’ve been racing in OBRA events since 2009, primarily at the Cross Crusade series. I know all about pre-registration, waivers, and race rules. I know the pre-race announcements by heart; I recognize the course marshals. Racers in Oregon are lucky – OBRA is a well-oiled machine that consistently puts on well-organized, fun events. We show up, warm up, race our races, and go home to prepare for next time.

Officials training requires proper nutrition taken seriously

A few weeks ago, several Tensegrity members attended the OBRA officials training in Salem. We are starting a new short-track mountain bike series here in Eugene this summer so we decided to get involved in the officiating end of racing. Additionally, there is a dearth of OBRA officials in the Eugene area; Tensegrity wants to contribute to the local events like the Eugene Roubaix, Twilight Crits, and PsychoCross. So Taylor, Julie, Spencer, and I spent a (sunny, beautiful) Saturday getting trained to be assistant judges and assistant referees.

I learned how little I actually know about what goes on behind the scenes at an OBRA race. There are approximately one million moving parts that make up the machine of a cycling race. From registration to equipment to results posting, it is a TON of coordinated work from a host of talented individuals.

We each chose between getting trained as an assistant judge (AJ) or assistant referee (AR). I went the route of AJ since I like numbers, organization, and detail. AJs are the folks at the finish line writing down your finishing order. We also note rule violations like crossing the centerline in the final sprint, public urination (Really guys? Right by the finish line?), and other things you should know better than to do.

Sounds easy enough, right? I put my newfound skills to the test at the Cherry Pie last weekend and found out just how hard seeing and recording thirty numbers simultaneously can be. Luckily, it’s 2012 and we can score every racer with a combination of technology and our handwritten notes. But it takes a lot of focus, which means I don’t register the people associated with the numbers. Several friends said they talked me as they rode by but I didn’t hear a word. I hope that means I was doing it right.

At the Cherry Pie finish line
(photo courtesy of Denny Rowe)

Next time you’re at an OBRA race, be sure to thank your officials. They are up pre-dawn checking the course, setting up equipment, making sure your number is pinned right side up, keeping the race fair, and cleaning up everything after you’ve left. They coordinate so that you don’t have to. Let them know how much you appreciate them! I look forward to seeing everyone out there this season, either on the bike or behind the clipboard.

No comments:

Post a Comment