Saturday, March 1, 2014

Homework vs. Hillwork


Homework, or Hill-work.

Finding the happy medium between my improtant stuff, and my important stuff.

And so starts the bike season of 2014. I’ve drastically changed my life, and am trying to figure out how to incorporate cycling into it.

            I’ve gone back to school, as you might be able to tell by the title of this blog.  I keep getting stuck between the want to get out and exercise, and the need to do my homework.  There are only so many hours of strait reading about economics or business practices I can do before I jump out of my skin.  That being said, it needs to get done. 


I have recently adapted the life style of a part time father as well.  I have a small person that needs constant attention when she’s awake.  I always hear about the parents who can put on cartoons or a movie and let the kid zone out for an hour so you can get stuff done.  This doesn’t work with her.  She wants to talk about what’s going on, like going to the movies with an old lady.  So depending on the day, I usually only have a few hours of naptime to get most things done.  But when everything calms down I just want to sleep too…  By the time she goes to sleep (8:30-9) I’m also tired and just fall asleep if I try to read a textbook.

I also have “ADD” or at least I was diagnosed with it.  It is just a fancy way to say I need to remove all the distractions when I’m doing something that might be a little boring.  I space off a lot when I read anything but the juiciest fiction.  So my way of dealing with it is every few pages I do a few push ups.  I will also read out loud, not loudly, just have my lips moving.  But the extra mechanical stimulation keeps me more focused on the words I’m reading, because I’m literally physically experiencing them.

O and the weather has sucked a lot.  I need to invest in some Showers Pass gear.  It’s so hard to feel comfortable with ditching homework just to trudge through the rain for a couple hours… And trainer rides are soul sucking…  I can only do about 3 a month…  so that’s no good.  Might have to do one today.

So all this combined is not really helping my resolve to keep in shape.  I’m already 11 lbs up since the end of cross season.  On the few rides I’ve done this year it’s depressing to so my Strava times and compare them to last years… depressing is an understatement.

I need to work out.  It’s amazing how many things I can do in a day and still feel unproductive.  And on the flip side it’s amazing how good and productive I feel if I get a two-hour ride and a shower in.  Maybe I should get it figured out. I’ve been running a little bit too.  But that’s almost more depressing than the Strava biking.  I haven’t really run in a couple of years, so I’m starting from a pretty low point.  A few years ago I ran a few marathons and a triathlon, not to mention countless 5ks, 10ks, and half marathons.  My last marathon I averaged 6:40 pace, so now when I run 4 miles and can barely break 8 minute mile pace, its very defeating.  I know I have the ability, I just don’t have the time and will power right now.  But I still need to do something.  I know I need to get one of those big calendars and write out a training plan.  My fiancĂ© is very supportive of me working out, but unless I take a little initiative she doesn’t know to push me.  I think with the calendar she will be able to see what I’m supposed to be doing, and make fun of me for not doing it.

I’m also in the middle of getting a new job.  I don’t know if putting out resume after resume, and having interview after interview end with me not getting the job is adding to my lack of motivation.  It’s hard to put yourself out there, but I don’t feel a direct negative from it.  Maybe its there, but just subconsciously.

Well I guess this was less of a biking blog, and more of an introspective look at my life right now.  Either way it was cathartic for me, writing this blog in a Star Bucks waiting for my cars brakes to get done.

No comments:

Post a Comment